Middelburg - Christ the King

Middelburg – Christ the King



A bit of history

It had long been Rt. Rev. Monsignor Demont’s intention to establish a residential Mission station at Middelburg, Cape, in order to cater for the needs of the European and Non-European congregations there. On the 31st May, 1933, Rev. Father J. Beirle SCJ, left Aliwal North to take over the task. A piece of ground and house were rented at £5 per month, and in September of the same year a site in the Location to be for religious and educational purposes was acquired. A temporary wood and iron building was erected to serve as church and school, and on the 5th November Rt. Rev. Monsignor Demont officially opened the Mission station.

Meanwhile four Dominican Sisters of Kingwilliamstown had been welcomed to the Mission to conduct a European Kindergarten in town and Native school in the Location.

In 1934 a piece of ground was obtained from Mr Grobbelaar and Rev. Father J. Cassidy and some seminarians came from Aliwal for the erection of a church and presbytery in town and a church-school in the Location. The priest-in-charge had been occupying as living and bedroom the church wing allotted to the Coloured congregation for services, his “room” being separated from the sanctuary only by a curtain.

In June 1936 Rev. Father M. Hahn SCJ succeeded Rev. Father Beirle in Middelburg and, at the end of the same year, Rev. Father X. Bea was appointed assistant priest. In February 1937 Father Hahn left Middelburg to replace Rev. Father Kraemer at Zastron, and in 1940 Rev. Father D. Law succeeded Rev. Father Bea. When Father Law was transferred to St. Joseph’s School at the beginning of 1946, Rev. Father J. Hillekamp became priest-in-charge of Middelburg and District.

From the time of their arrival, the Sisters had been living in various rented houses until 1947 when they acquired their own Convent. A large house opposite the new Convent was later purchased. Part of this serves as Presbytery and the part formerly used as a shop was demolished and a small but beautiful church erected on the site.


The Patronal Feast: the last Sunday of the Liturgical Year


About the Patron of the parish

Christ the King

Instituted by Pius XI, this feast was celebrated on the last Sunday of October to foster the awareness of Christ’s dominion over all people and to establish peace among nations. After Vatican Council II the feast was transferred to the last Sunday of the Liturgical Year, the Sunday before Advent, on which day the human race is consecrated to the Sacred Heart through the Litany of the Sacred Heart and a prayer recited before the Blessed Sacrament.

This feast celebrates Christ’s Kingship in an altogether nonworldly way. Jesus was anointed by the Father with the oil of gladness as the Eternal Priest and Universal King. As Priest He offered His life on the altar of the Cross and redeemed the human race by this one perfect sacrifice of peace. As King He claims dominion over all creation, that He may present to the almighty Father a Kingdom of truth and life, a Kingdom of holiness and grace, a Kingdom of justice, love and peace.

(taken from: Dictionary of the Liturgy by Rev. Jovian P. Lang, OFM)


Priest in charge:

Fr Jayaraj Chapalamadugu, SCJ 


The address:

10 Van Reenen Street,

PO Box 168

Middelburg 5900.

Tel: (049) 842 1587


The time of services:

Holy Mass:   Sunday:       


Other:                        Adoration:   

Office hours:

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information