Phillipstown - Holy Cross
- Hits: 796
Philipstown – Holy Cross
About the parish
The little town is situated about 55 km from De Aar. Currently served from the Cathedral.
A bit of history
The church was built by Fr John Strittmatter scj in 1989.
Catholics are about 60 parishioners.
The Patronal Feast: September 14
About the Patron of the parish
Triumph of the Cross
This feast celebrated on September 14, also called the Exaltation of the Cross, indicates that the Cross was shown to people as a sign of salvation and victory over evil. It commemorates the finding of the Holy Cross, the dedication of the Basilica of the Resurrection on the site of the Holy Sepulcher, and the recovery of the relics of the Cross that had been carried off by the Persians in the early 7th century. For the faithful the Cross has a profound meaning, for on the Cross Christ overcome the power of evil. Therefore no longer is the Cross the sign of shame or defeat, but victory and salvation.
(taken from: Dictionary of the Liturgy by Rev. Jovian P. Lang, OFM)
Priest in charge:
Rev. Fr Douglas Sumaili
PO Box 73
De Aar 7000
Priest House. Tel: (053) 631 1120
The time of services:
Holy Mass: Sunday: 12:00hrs
Other: Adoration: Thursday 16:00hrs
* Deacon Mbombo assits the priest with Adoration & priestless Service:
* Catechists are: Deacon Mbombo; Jane Mbombo, Emily Mbombo, Mrs Sauders and Busisiwe Majola.
Sodality: St Anne's are 11 ladies
Youth group does exist